ANDROID English Learning APP – https://goo.gl/HNkjaG
APPLE English Learning APP – https://goo.gl/j8Uz4P
How to Greet someone you know – English speaking lesson for Beginners
When you meet someone you know, just saying ‘Hi’ or ‘Hello’ is not always enough. There are expressions in English that can be used to sound more conversational based on the situation so we will look at some simple ones in this English speaking lesson.
When you meet a friend, colleague or just an acquaintance after a long time
Hey Mark, how have you been?
• Not too bad
• I’m doing well
• Everything is good, thanks.
Hi Nancy, what have you been up to?
• Nothing much, just the usual
• I’m pretty tied with work, otherwise, everything is great
• When you meet someone unexpectedly
For example: you have a friend who doesn’t visit malls at all and you suddenly meet her at a mall it is unexpected.
• Hey Maria, it’s good to see you, what are you doing here?
• I’ve just come shopping
• I’ve come here for my regular check up (meet someone at a clinic for example)
What a surprise! How have you been?
• Oh, I’m doing great, how about you?
• I’m just fine, thank you.
When you meet someone at a restaurant, instead of just talking about the food you can extend your conversation using the following statements and questions.
Hey, do you come to this restaurant often?
• I don’t but like the place
• I do, it’s great
Do you like this place too?
I really love it, it’s my favourite hangout.
Hangout – a place that you love going to and spend a lot of time at, normally with friends or even alone.
So these are a couple of ways that you can use to greet someone and respond to them. We hope this English lesson was useful. Keep practising and happy learning.