Common French words used in English – Free Spoken English lessons
Over the years, the English language has borrowed a great number of French words and expressions. Some of this vocabulary has been so completely absorbed by English that speakers might not realize its origins.In this lesson, you will learn some common French words that are used in English.
1. Rendezvous: a meeting at a fixed time and place.
2. Déjà vu: a feeling that you have already seen or done something when you are sure you actually haven’t.
3. En route: on the way
4. Sans: without
5. À la carte: a menu with separate prices for each dish
6. Faux pas: a mistake/do something socially embarrassing
7. Vis-à-vis: in relation to/in comparison to/ face to face
8. Passé: outdated/a thing of the past
9. Chauffeur: a driver
10. Adieu: goodbye/farewell
11. Souvenir: a memento (a thing that reminds you of a person or place)
12. Bon voyage: have a safe journey/have a good trip
13. C’est la vie: that’s life
For more spoken English and English Grammar lessons visit us at :
How to speak fluent English
Free English, English lesson, English video, vocabulary, business English, Grammar, learn grammar, English speaking, spoken English, learn English, speak English, speaking English, fluent English, fluency in English, English training video, speak fluent English, accent training, American accent, British accent, US accent, UK accent, accent training, personality development, words, sentences, public speaking, presentation, soft skills, how to, phrases, idioms, listening skills